[Gllug] A Little fun with dates.

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Wed Jan 8 10:00:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:34:53AM +0000, Roger Whittaker wrote:
> > But Anglo-centric ...

> > > FWIW, this is kind of interesting: :)
> > >
> > > $ cal 9 1752
>
> Well noted Roger. Different countries moved to the Gregorian calendar at different dates.
> So you are presumably volunteering to modify cal to take note of $LANG (perhaps overridden by $LC_TIME)
> to show different sets of missing dates. From 1582 to 1924. Some places are more interesting, eg:
> 	Switzerland catholic   12-21 Jan 1584
> 	Switzerland protestant  1-11 Jan 1701
>
> For more info see:
>
> 	http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~kent/calisto/guide/changes.htm
> 	http://www.norbyhus.dk/calendar.html
>
> Seriously, if someone does want the challenge, it could be quite fun.

Except that it would be a pure duplication of existing work:

>From the gcal infopages:
----
`--gregorian-reform=1582|1700|1752|1753|ARGUMENT'
     Set the period which was skipped during the Gregorian Reformation.
     By default, Gcal runs in the "hybrid" calendar mode, i.e. Gcal
     automatically changes from the Julian calendar system to the
     Gregorian calendar system if output is related to dates after the
     Gregorian Reformation has happened.  *Note Aspects in
     Internationalization: Internationalization, for more details.
     Actually, four fixed default periods are supported, and that of
     the year 1582, of the year 1700, of the year 1752 and of the year
     1753.
  Because Gcal as calendar program must also comply the specifics of a
used native language concerning the ordering of day, month and year
(and further things) of a displayed date, the period of Gregorian
Reformation, the type of week number and the representation of calendar
sheets, these criteria are likewise bound to the language code(3)
(*note Internationalization-Footnote-3::).
----

Bloody pendantic computer scientists, eh? :-)

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk