[Gllug] hopeless debian install

Matt Amos matt.amos at ic.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 13:43:47 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:55:48PM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> P1 mobile 233 MMX Genuine, 128 meg, 4 Gb drive, 1024x600

thats a weird screen size, isnt it?

> I managed to get the base system installed that way and getting an
> interface and grabbing packages off mirror.ac.uk . On updating [apt-get
> dist-upgrade to testing] i got lots of crashes. I have run memtest86 for
> a few hours and the memory checks out. I've tried chmod a-x
> /etc/init.d/pcmcia so thats not there. and still i get crashes with the
> machine up for only a minute or so.

whats the IDE chipset, etc? iirc, debian has support of cmd640, etc, but
maybe its more esoteric than that?

can you boot knoppix (or other) from within windows and find the devices
that way? it would be interesting to know the southbridge, IDE, sound,
graphics chipsets.

cya,

matt

--
"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is
a very comforting thought - particularly for people who cannot remember