OT: Joke (was Re: [Gllug] Universities and degrees in computing.)

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Mon Jan 6 11:06:35 UTC 2003

Mark Hill <gllug_list at mark.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 09:52:34PM  0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> >
> > Q. What did the arts graduate say to the engineering graduate?
> > A. "Do you want fries with that?"
>
> A variation of this, from the fortune program:
>
> Engineering:    "How will this work?"
> Science:        "Why will this work?"
> Management:     "When will this work?"
> Liberal Arts:   "Do you want fries with that?"

The sad thing is that most people from my year who went onto university
ended up in MacJobs - regardless of their degree subject. I'm a liberal
arts graduate myself (well, I assume history and languages are "liberal
arts" subjects). I escaped the MacJob career path by sheer determination
and an almost too late realisation that I *enjoy* programming computers.
Getting onto the first rung of the programming career ladder was bloody
hard though.

Funny thing is, after settling in at my first programming job I became
part of the interview team for prospective new programmers. I then found
out that company policy was to turn down all new college leavers point
blank regardless of their computing qualifications. Experience showed
that such candidates were ill prepared for life in the "real world"
having been taught too much esoteric theory and bugger all practical
stuff.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk