[Gllug] GLLUG Meeting Saturday 18th January 2003

GLLUG Organiser gllugadmin at linux.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 20:18:41 UTC 2003

Meeting: 18th January 2003

  The Greater London Linux User Group is set to have another meeting.

  That's right, there is a GLLUG meeting on Saturday 18th January
  2003, between 12noon and 5pm.

  We will be meeting in the New Cavendish Street campus
  of Westminster University. This is in the shadow of the
  BT Tower, the nearest tube stations are Great Portland
  Street, Warren Street and Goodge Street. You will find a
  map at [http://www.wmin.ac.uk/static/maps.asp] or via
  html version of this message on the GLLUG web site at
  http://www.gllug.org.uk/meeting-20030118.html

  NOTE: you will need to sign in at the front desk to gain access
  to the building. There are building works at the moment but we'll
  post signs if the entrance has moved.

Talks

  We have two main talks planned. These will be in the large lecture
  theatre on the second floor:-

 12:00 - 12:30

  Welcome and Introduction.
  also opportunity to try and debug overhead projectors :-)

 12:30 - 14:00

  Russell Coker - Security Enhanced Linux

  Introduction to SE Linux [ http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/ ].

  It will cover the concepts of MAC vs DAC, the Identity, Role,
  Domain security context model, Domain-Type enforcement and some
  examples of how it can be used to improve security.

 14:30 - 16:00

  Carsten H. Pederson - MySQL

  The exact contents of the talk are not yet available. Carsten
  works for MySQL.com and can talk on both Introductory and advanced
  mysql subjects.

 16:15 - 17:00

  To round the meeting off: There will be an open forum discussion,
  including the return of the "Heckle Steve Session".

* Do please be aware that we can't guarantee that the talks will
  happen at the times stated, but we will do our best to make sure
  they do.

Other activities

  Away from the formal lectures, we have two rooms set aside,
  both on the second floor, same level as main lecture room.

  The network lab, as it is known, can be used for rolling demos
  of Linux being installations and to experiment with configuration.

  We also have the Multimedia room. This will be used for people
  to set is up their own machines. You can do this if you have
  something to show off, or you are looking for a solution to some
  problems. If your are bringing in your own machine, make sure
  you sign it in when you arrive, otherwise security won't let
  you take it when you go! We'll have monitors, keyboards, mice,
  and powerleads available. [So no need to lug all that stuff].

  We will have access to some of the latest iso images and a
  CD-Burner.

  If you decide to bring a PC, please have the serial number
  written down ahead of time, in case it needs to be registered
  at the ground floor Reception. We may also take a picture of you
  and your PC as proof of ownership.

  The network lab and the multimedia room are the places you can
  go to, should you be looking for sanctuary away from the formal
  talks. If we're lucky the Refectory on the ground floor will have
  its food and drinks machines restocked.

Sales

  For the latter part of the afternoon Josette Garcia from O'Reilly
  will be with us, so if you are looking to buy some O'Reilly books,
  now's your chance. And yes - we do get 25% off the cover price.
  If you have any specific requests to buy or look at any O'Reilly
  books, please contact josette at orielly.co.uk

  John Winters of The Linux Emporium [http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk]
  will be along to sell some boxed sets and stuff. If anybody has
  any specific requirements please check out his web page and then
  contact john at linuxemporium.co.uk

After

  After the meeting, for those that want, the group will move off
  to 'The Green Man' public house, very close to Great Portland
  Street. We have it booked from 5:30pm, part of the ground floor
  area of the bar is reserved for us. Even if you were unable to make
  the daytime meeting, please feel free to join us at the pub. To
  help you find the pub have a look at the link on the website.

Next meeting

  The next meeting will be another InstallFest on Saturday 1st
  March, the date for the next full meeting has not yet been set,
  but should be a Saturday sometime in April; keep watching these
  pages for further announcements.

Mailing Lists

Contact us

  If you have any ideas for future events, you can either discuss
  them on the main mailing list, or get our direct attention by
  mailing to gllugadmin at linux.co.uk

  -- Steve Cobrin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk