[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 18:35:50 UTC 2003

On Sat 04 Jan, Alain Williams wrote:

> If a fewpeople who are interested in this project would contact me, I will take
> this up with the rest of the UKUUG council. I am looking for the project lead people
> who will get this started.

   I really would recommend speaking to SuSE and Redhat, both of whom have
had previous experience of running stands at the larger events. I suspect
that floor space itself may be fairly expensive, then add the costs of the
the stand, electrics, printed handouts, etc, even if part of the cost was
covered by marginal profits from selling CDs. In fact there has hardly been
anything available for immediate purchase at the recent BETT shows, there
are displays and demonstrations, but almost every item must normally be
authorised by some purchasing committee.
   My own observations at previous BETT shows were that most people involved
in education did not understand or want to know much about computers, but
were prepared to look at the lavish displays from the well known
organisations, listen to their chats and demonstrations, collect a bag of
handouts, and go out asap. They would happily arrange a contract with one of
the larger suppliers and pass the buck, much the same as in the days of main
frames where you were putting your head on the block if you did not purchase
an IBM; the slightest problem with anything else would cause the axe to
fall.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk