[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 20:01:30 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 06:35:50PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Sat 04 Jan, Alain Williams wrote:
> >
> > If a fewpeople who are interested in this project would contact me, I will take
> > this up with the rest of the UKUUG council. I am looking for the project lead people
> > who will get this started.
> >
>    I really would recommend speaking to SuSE and Redhat, both of whom have
> had previous experience of running stands at the larger events. I suspect
> that floor space itself may be fairly expensive, then add the costs of the

It is the debian people that we must speak to, they seem to be able to turn up
at these events. AFIR they pursuade the show promoters to give them cheap/free
places on the basis that they are non profit. This might not work on a non Linux
show.

> the stand, electrics, printed handouts, etc, even if part of the cost was
> covered by marginal profits from selling CDs. In fact there has hardly been
> anything available for immediate purchase at the recent BETT shows, there
> are displays and demonstrations, but almost every item must normally be
> authorised by some purchasing committee.
>    My own observations at previous BETT shows were that most people involved
> in education did not understand or want to know much about computers, but
> were prepared to look at the lavish displays from the well known
> organisations, listen to their chats and demonstrations, collect a bag of
> handouts, and go out asap. They would happily arrange a contract with one of
> the larger suppliers and pass the buck, much the same as in the days of main
> frames where you were putting your head on the block if you did not purchase
> an IBM; the slightest problem with anything else would cause the axe to
> fall.

Quite. This is why I am working on my kids' school, do a good job in a couple
of areas ... but that is another story.

I still think that a design for a conference/exhibition ''kit'' would be a good idea.
If done properly, the design would be used by any LUG in the country.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk