[Gllug] Browsers which support fancy keys

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 23:04:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, dylan at dylan.me.uk moaned:
> On Saturday 04 January 2003 15:06, rich at annexia.org wrote:
>> So I bought a Logitech keyboard which has lots of fancy keys marked
>> "Finance", "My Home", "Search" and so on. I can get the keycodes of
>> some (not all?) of these keys using xev. Question: are there any
>> browsers which actually support binding these keys to events or
>> bookmarks? I'm using galeon 1.2.6 at the moment.
>
> Konqueror (native KDE3) and Opera allow fully configurable key bindings. So if
> u know the code you can configure it.

So too does Galeon, like all Gtk-based apps.

The problem is that unless you've bound the keycodes to a keysym, X
can't tell the application anything about those keys at all. (Now maybe
Konq has a hack that lets it get past X and see what key you hit on the
keyboard itself, but if so that's hardly satisfactory because there's no
*way* such a hack would work remotely, where the X events are all you've
got, and it sounds really fragile. I hope they don't do that.)

--
`I was thinking of the legendary British Weather, with the four seasons
 of winter, mud, rain, and damp.' --- Peter da Silva

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk