[Gllug] GLLUG: NICs

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jan 29 13:54:12 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 12:19, Davies Sue wrote:
> It's the Cisco thing, the guys in Networks said you will set servers to 100
> full, jd boxes to 100 full and desktops to 10 half.

Why 10half on the desktops?
I don't think there is a good engineering rationale for this.
A sum like 10x10 Mbps PCs fills one 100Mbps server port isn't right,
very much IMHO.
In Framestore I put in 24port switches - desktops happily working at 100
full.

If your server is saturated, your server is saturated.

(ps. I don't mean to sound confrontational. And please don't take
your hard worked network staff to task)

Anyway, if anyone is interested at all, here is the post on
setting forced full duplex:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/0201.0/0011.html

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk