[Gllug] Re: [Fsf-friends] security- a discussion

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Jan 13 23:10:37 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 01:58:20PM +0530, Satish Babu wrote:
> Especially note that Aberdeen has cleverly taken  "Linux" to mean Linux
> applications and not only the operating system (it would be like including
> Adobe Photoshop's bugs as Windows bugs)...

And besides, the more security advisories the better IMO.  Rather than hide
the bugs like Microsoft, the security problems should be out in the open.

I'm not a subscriber to CERT (too much noise), but I would suggest that
vulnerabilities in Windows and Windows software are not generally posted
there - they are generally handled in secret if found by a Microsoftian, and
any Windows user will be able to tell you how frequent "Windows Updates" are
(which I'm not suggesting is a bad thing, besides the secrecy involved).

So from this lack of advisories, I would argue that it is clear that
Microsoft's Security Initiative simply has not worked.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk