[Gllug] Re: [GLUG] Upgrading glibc

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Jan 13 23:18:59 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 02:46:07PM +0200, Gareth Gregor wrote:
> > I have a old RH 6.2 box, and I need to upgrade glibc to version 2.2.x,
> > what's the easiest and safest way to do this. And this has to be done
> > remotely?
>
> There is allways rpm's, but, I personally would never do it that way, i
> would get the source and compile it my self, if you do it from source, use
> the make &> somename.log &  that way you can disconnet if you need to,
> also you can connect now and then and tail -f somename.log.

What's the advantage in compiling it yourself?

In my mind it just makes it harder to verify that the code has not been
trojaned since source tarballs are rarely signed.

Secondly, you'd need a compile environment on the box, and said environment
is going to be affected by the libc change.

Lastly, the average Linux install has about 100,000 files.  Why on earth
would you want to *not* have them managed by a packaging system?  Do you
really want to keep track of the justification of each file yourself?  On
every machine you maintain?

Pete
--
Pete Ryland