[Gllug] apache ssl

Leigh Mason leigh at silkstream.net
Wed Jan 15 12:29:55 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:

>Leigh Mason writes:
>
>><VirtualHost singleIpAddress>
>>   ServerName www.virtualhost1.co.uk
>>   ProxyPass / http://backendserver/virtualhost1
>>   ProxyPassReverse / http://backendserver/virtualhost1
>></VirtualHost>
>>
>>Currently, a request for: http://www.virtualhost1/home.html  will be
>>successfully retrieved from: backendserver/home.html But would it be
>>possible to pass a request for https://www.virtualhost1/secure.html to
>>backendserver/secure.html?
>>

>Why are you trying to do this in Apache? Why not do it at the IP level?
>I.e., just route the required IP address directly to the backend server?
>Since you've specified https, you're not using name based virtual hosting[1],
>which would be the only reason you'd need Apache.

I am using name based virtual hosting, I only have one IP address.
Sorry, I should have explained my
self properly in the first place.
I'm hosting a few sites, all with their own domain names. Most of the
sites are served from the front end Linux box. But a few sites use asp
and must be passed to the back end windows box running iis. The way I
achieve this is by using the ReverseProxyPass directives in apache.

I understand that I can only have one signed certificate per IP address,
and I need to use ssl for some
of the asp pages.

>Tet
>
>[1] I was reading somewhere that future versions of Apache will support
>    name based SSL virtual hosting. Impossible, you might think, but it
>    apparently involves initiating the connection in plain text, so you
>    get the headers, and then negotiating encryption once you know for
>    which virtual host it's destined.

This sounds like the very thing for me!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk