[Gllug] Recommendations for network card and adsl modem (or router)

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Fri Jan 17 22:51:55 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 21:46, Peter John Cameron wrote:
> After nearly three weeks of trying, I've given up with the alcatel
> speedtouch modem. Short of throwing it out the window, I can't do anything
> with it other than initialise it. I tried PPPoA and got nothing beyond LCP
> timeouts. I tried PPPoE (with a downloaded br2684ctl) and though I get
> "ifconfig nas0" returning an ethernet address etc., the "pppd nas0 &" call
> complains about nas0 being unknown. Ho hum. I give up.

How given up are you? I'm using a speedtouch, as are two of my
colleagues. All three of us have had good experiences with it.

One crucial thing for painlessness, AFAIK is to use the userland
speedtouch drivers http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/.

I'm using debian woody on the gateway machine, but I did try it on a
RH8.0beta briefly and it seemed to work just as well/easily. I could
bundle up the config required if it would help you.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk