[Gllug] Size of tmpfs

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Jan 10 09:05:54 UTC 2003

Dylan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've started using tmpfs (at least, I figure I have). I added:
>
> tmpfs  /tmp  tmpfs  size=10m  0 0
>
> to /etc/fstab and rebooted.
>
> So, since the docs in the kernel source say it will resize as needed,
> do I need to specify a size? Is that a maximum or minimum
> specification, or a fixed size?

You can specify a maximum size but if you don't then it defaults to half the
size of physical ram.  The filesystem is stored totally in memeory and will
grow when you put more data in it up to the specified maximum.  The
filesystem can be swapped out of memory so it is OK to specify bigger
maximums and if memory is getting tight it will be swapped to disk (and
therefore you lose the speed advantage of having it in ram).

Try looking in the man page for mount under the tmpfs section for the
options you can specify.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk