[Gllug] Size of tmpfs

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jan 10 09:22:19 UTC 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 09:05, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> Dylan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've started using tmpfs (at least, I figure I have). I added:
> >
> > tmpfs  /tmp  tmpfs  size=10m  0 0
> >
> > to /etc/fstab and rebooted.
> >
> > So, since the docs in the kernel source say it will resize as needed,
> > do I need to specify a size? Is that a maximum or minimum
> > specification, or a fixed size?
>
> You can specify a maximum size but if you don't then it defaults to half
> the size of physical ram.  The filesystem is stored totally in memeory and
> will grow when you put more data in it up to the specified maximum.  The
> filesystem can be swapped out of memory so it is OK to specify bigger
> maximums and if memory is getting tight it will be swapped to disk (and
> therefore you lose the speed advantage of having it in ram).
>
> Try looking in the man page for mount under the tmpfs section for the
> options you can specify.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of looking there - comes from doing this stuff at 2am
I figure.

Now, I'd like to get the contents of /var/tmp into the tmpfs as well.
Obviously I could set up two tmpfs's - one for /tmp and one for /var/tmp.
Would it be possible/advisable to set up a link from one to the other (i.e. a
link from /var/tmp to /tmp ?)

Cheers

Dylan

--