[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Jan 3 20:25:17 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 19:51, Pete Ryland wrote:
> Interesting.  IIRC, in Australia[1], the word 'disabled' is the one that
<snip>

Sorry, should have read the rest of the thread first.  Why am I such a
sucker for OT threads anyway? :)

FWIW, IMO there's nothing wrong with terms like spastic, deaf and dumb
(not sure what 'joey' means).  Children will always be children, and
name-calling won't stop by changing terminology.  One would hope that
most people grow out of this, but sadly we know that there are quite a
lot who don't.  It reflects on *them* and their lack of intrinsic
confidence in *themselves*, not to mention their lack of intelligence.

And for this same reason (maybe this *is* on topic) we shouldn't deride
other operating systems with name-calling and misspellings which at the
end of the day is seen as negative and childish by others.

Pete
--
Because Linux is not commercial, it does not have to maintain any
pretences as to its reliability. Consequently, it is much more reliable.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk