[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jan 3 20:38:01 UTC 2003

On 3 Jan 2003, Pete Ryland wrote:

> FWIW, IMO there's nothing wrong with terms like spastic, deaf and dumb
> (not sure what 'joey' means).

It's a reference to a young boy who was the subject of a television
programme in the late 70's. He suffered from Cerebral Palsy (spastic). The
term was used as an insult for many years here in the UK.

> Children will always be children, and
> name-calling won't stop by changing terminology.  One would hope that
> most people grow out of this, but sadly we know that there are quite a
> lot who don't.  It reflects on *them* and their lack of intrinsic
> confidence in *themselves*, not to mention their lack of intelligence.

True however such name calling can have a very real effect on those who
are subjected to it.

Terms such as handicapped and disabled are not inherently insulting.
Calling someone a "joey" was.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...