[Gllug] Window Managers

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Jan 2 11:25:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 04:04:08PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> slow as to be unusable. Now OK, the machine is a bit old (it's a K6-450),
> and somewhat memory starved (it has 32MB). But Windows is perfectly
> usable on the same machine. For both of the leading Linux desktops to
> render the box useless is a *very* poor situation. Yes, I could have
> set him up a nice fvwm2, icewm or whatever desktop, but that's missing
> the point. I could have done that. He couldn't...

On my laptop I am going to blow away windows (2000) as it is unusable with a
Transmeta 600Mhz and 128MB of RAM, I just tried KDE and GNOME and they are
alright but not as fast as some of the lightweight mangers obviously. I found
that after win2k loaded I would have 6MB of RAM free but with Linux somewhere
around 60MB. I also have a K6-300 with 64MB of RAM laptop which works nicely
with FreeBSD and Linux running enlightenment but again windows is unusable.

(just my observations FWIW)

Adam
--
"Step away from the Cathedral, This Bazaar is loaded"
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk