[Gllug] Window Managers

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Thu Jan 2 11:41:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:25:04AM +0000, Adam Bower wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 04:04:08PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> >
> > slow as to be unusable. Now OK, the machine is a bit old (it's a K6-450),
> > and somewhat memory starved (it has 32MB). But Windows is perfectly
> > usable on the same machine. For both of the leading Linux desktops to
> > render the box useless is a *very* poor situation. Yes, I could have
> > set him up a nice fvwm2, icewm or whatever desktop, but that's missing
> > the point. I could have done that. He couldn't...
>
> On my laptop I am going to blow away windows (2000) as it is unusable with a
> Transmeta 600Mhz and 128MB of RAM, I just tried KDE and GNOME and they are
> alright but not as fast as some of the lightweight mangers obviously. I found
> that after win2k loaded I would have 6MB of RAM free but with Linux somewhere
> around 60MB. I also have a K6-300 with 64MB of RAM laptop which works nicely
> with FreeBSD and Linux running enlightenment but again windows is unusable.

Looking purely at free memory might be a little bit of a red
herring. Both Linux and W2K have extensive in-kernel caches which
can be unloaded from memory more or less successfully if there is
real memory pressure. Free memory is wasted memory :-)

I generally start by looking through 'ps ax' and identifying then
killing off any processes which I don't like the look of.

'killall esd oafd kdeinit gconfd' is also a worthwhile command (in
fact I run it from cron :-)

'killall java' - also very useful.

Switch to wmx for a real lightweight wm.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj