[Gllug] Any BSD users on here?

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Thu Jan 23 20:31:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:36:28PM +0000, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> are there any BSD users on the list that may be able to help me?
>
> I'm trying to install Python Image Library on a server running FreeBSD
> and I think my problems are related to the dynamic linker but I don't
> know enough about it. When I do a ./configure it doesn't pick up the
> libjpeg libraries which I know are in /usr/local/lib/
>
> How should "ldconfig -v" work on BSD?  Should I get a list of available
> libraries? because I'm not getting anything.
>
> On Linux it gives me a list of the library files on the system it has
> found.  At the moment on the FreeBSD server I get nothing.
> su-2.05# ldconfig -v /usr/local/lib/
> su-2.05#
>
> No listing of libraries in the /usr/local/lib where I know libjpeg.so
> and friends are.  According to the man page  "ldconfig -r  Lists the
> current contents of the hints file on the standard out-put."  I get
> nothing from this as well which suggests to me that the dynamic linker
> isn't working.
>
> Is there anything special I need to do to get this to work?  Doing
> "./configure --with-jpeg=/usr/local/lib/" doesn't work either.  And to
> make it even more confusing zlib is being found ok.
>
> Version is 4.6 of FreeBSD and I'm actually running in a jail
> environment.

If you are running in a chroot environment it likely that the libaries
you want are not reachable from the jail.  Have you run and can you get
it to run from a non chroot environment?

If you can then the answer should be to copy the libaries into the
chroot environment and hopefully all should work.

I found this link  quite useful for explaining some stuff about chroot

http://www.networkdweebs.com/chroot.html

Of course I could be talking completly out of my arse here.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk