[Gllug] Any BSD users on here?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Thu Jan 23 21:02:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:31:01 +0000 Jim Bailey wrote:
> If you are running in a chroot environment it likely that the libaries
> you want are not reachable from the jail.  Have you run and can you
> get it to run from a non chroot environment?
>
> If you can then the answer should be to copy the libaries into the
> chroot environment and hopefully all should work.
>
> I found this link  quite useful for explaining some stuff about chroot
>
> http://www.networkdweebs.com/chroot.html
>
> Of course I could be talking completly out of my arse here.

Hi Jim
No it's not in a chroot environment, thanks for the link as I had no
idea what chroot was until reading through that.  FreeBSD has a "jail"
facility which effectively provides a virtual machine environment, so
it's a safe server within a larger one (next step up from chroot).  Our
ISP uses it to enable clients full server access to their own system,
files, processes etc yet still share machine with others.  White paper
about it here if your interested.
http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/papers/jail/jail.html

It's great, it's like having my own managed server with root access to
everything yet the low cost of sharing the service with others. I can
even reboot it like a real server if I feel so inclined.  Only problem
is now I'm having to learn the difference between using Linux (running
at home/office) and getting the same things working on FreeBSD for our
production stuff.  It's all the little things I don't know that keep
tripping me up and wasting time.

Thanks again for the reply it was very helpful to learn about chroot.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk