[Gllug] Reading an Access97 mdb file

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Jan 8 22:32:15 UTC 2003

In message
<E254F03EB6C05A449C653A8C2691EDFCDED2DC at borg.automationpartnership.com>,
Jonathan Dye <jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com> writes
>Stan wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a way that I can extract data from a table held in
>> a access97 .mdb file...a perl modules would be best (can't find
>> anything on CPAN) but any linuxy thing would be useful.
>>
>> I know that I can export the data if I run access on a windows machine
>> but this is a task that would need to be done daily so a nightly cron
>> seems best to me!
>>
>> Oh and I'm stuck with access97 on the windows machine (unless someone
>> here did find a swipe card door-lock system which runs on a sensible
>> platform)
>
>Could you replace the database with one that just included views that point
>to a unix based database?  I believe that you can access external databases
>from within Access and I'm pretty sure you can access something like
>Postgress.

If you have an Access database you can link external tables (or views)
from other ODBC databases. I've built databases using native Access
tables and then just replaced them with linked tables. MS Access is the
main reason why I'm still using Windows, I haven't found a better Linux
alternative.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com