[Gllug] Recommendations for network card and adsl modem (or router)

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 23:30:48 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 09:46:43PM -0000, Peter John Cameron wrote:
> After nearly three weeks of trying, I've given up with the alcatel
> speedtouch modem. Short of throwing it out the window, I can't do anything
> with it other than initialise it. I tried PPPoA and got nothing beyond LCP
> timeouts. I tried PPPoE (with a downloaded br2684ctl) and though I get
> "ifconfig nas0" returning an ethernet address etc., the "pppd nas0 &" call
> complains about nas0 being unknown. Ho hum. I give up.

What model of Alcatel is it ?
I've setup the Speedtouch Pro and Speedtouch 510 (both ethernet),
it can be done but they are not the easiest of boxes to work with.

I don't think PPPoE is used for a BT based ADSL line in Britain,
which are PPPoA with VPI=0 and VCI=38. This following page may help
if you have a Speedtouch Pro:
    http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/IPCopFAQ#Configuring_the_Alcatel_Speedtou

> I'd like some recommendations for a decent external ADSL modem (or router)
> plus network card. I only have a standalone PC at home. There are plans for
> a network but that probably won't happen this year.

It's hard to give a recommendation without knowing your requirements,
but the DLink 504 has quite a good range of features and has a 4 port
10/100 switch (the 500 does not and is slightly cheaper). Only drawback
is that you will need a Windows to upgrade the firmware to version 2,
as the version 1 that is usually shipped is quite bad.

I also know a couple of people who are running the Pulsar PCI card
which has some good Linux support:
    http://www.traverse.com.au/products/default.asp?p=8

ADSL guide has some product reviews, but mainly from a Windows users
point of view:
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

A good network card would be a 3com 905 or Intel EE Pro (cost ~25 GBP),
but for a simple link to a ADSL router an RTL8139 card would probably
do (cost ~10GBP).

> I'm in Surrey so I'd also be interested in knowing where I could walk in and
> buy the equipment (I try to avoid PC World if at all possible).

I've not seen any high street shop with a good range, and have bought
most of the stuff from suppliers or over the phone from people such as
dslsource.co.uk or dabs.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk