[Gllug] Knoppix is very slow to NFS mount a drive - but eventually succeeds

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 10:57:56 UTC 2003

I'm fiddling with Knoppix on a diskless workstation, trying to NFS mount
a drive from another machine (well, 2 other machines).

When I issue a command like:

mount -t nfs duplo:/home /mnt/test

the command hangs for a very long time.  There's an immediate log entry
on the server showing that the mount was approved but the drive doesn't
appear as mounted on the client for an extended period.

The one time I've succeeded I did Ctrl-C on the client a couple of times
and then walked away to go shopping.  When I came back a message had
appeared - "Interrupted" - and the mount had completed.  Accessing the
mounted drive from the client was fast but once it was unmounted I was
back to the very slow mount again.

Anyone any ideas what could cause this?

TIA,
John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk