[Gllug] Linux vs Mac resident graphics and DTP?

Matt Amos matt.amos at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jan 13 14:19:16 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 09:12:26AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Sun 12 Jan, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:06:22PM -0600, Sarah Ewen wrote:
> > > Yup - I've been running Debian on my G3 iBook for ....er, nearly a year
> > > I think. It rules.

me too. i've been running about ~9 months without any real problems.
except the fscking Apple winmodem...

>    The Mac computers may (or may not?) be generally better than PCs because
> of their design, but most people who buy a Mac do so because they want to
> use the graphics and DTP facilities written specifically for a Mac. How do
> the Linux facilities compare?

the linux i run here is the same as any other Debian stable... if anything
x86 is probably better for media because noone ever bothers to write
optimised ppc asm.

i bought this iBook because of the general build quality, battery life and
simplicity of design. the ppc processor is also 'nicer' than frankenstein
x86; more power efficient, doesnt need a fan so its really quiet and the
battery lasts ages (comparitively).

cya,

matt

--
"Only the educated are free." -- Epictetus

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk