[Gllug] Recommendations for network card and adsl modem (or router)

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sat Jan 18 10:02:35 UTC 2003

On Sat 18 Jan Chris Ball wrote:
> What's the latency from these drivers like?  Surely copying every packet
> from kernel context to userland and back is bad for your load and speed,
> unless they've done something particularly clever and left everything in
> kernel context somehow?
>
> *confused*  :-)

er, dunno.  never really thought about it.

i expect if you were running 100Mbps ADSL you might care, but for
512Kbps it's probably pretty irrelevant.

to provide some useless statistics, pinging my ADSL endpoint i get:

round-trip min/avg/max = 16.2/21.9/55.2 ms

How much of that latency is inherent in ADSL and how much in the
userland i don't know.  Maybe someone running kernel drivers can provide
some equally useless statistics :)

doug.

--
<fourstar> sigmata - being scarred from a particularly poor .sig