[Gllug] BETT at Olympia (veering into that whole language thing again)

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jan 3 14:36:41 UTC 2003

On Friday 03 January 2003 14:11, Tethys wrote:
> Dermot Moynihan writes:
> >I appreciate that the word handicapped is not meant in a *bad* way but,
> >speaking as one who works with disabled people in a teaching capacity,
> >the word is frowned upon and brings up incredibly strong feelings.
>
> I have to ask... *why*? "Handicapped" implies they face extra challenges
> over and above the norm when dealing with normal life. "Disabled" implies
> they're less than fully able. Both are accurate descriptions, yet one is
> deemed acceptable, and one not. Why? Is there some sensible explanation,
> or is it just political correctness rearing its ugly head?

There are at least two aspects to this (ignoring the stupidity of political
'correctness'.) On the one hand, there is the /outside/ view of the disabled
community - 'handicapped' is associated with (now almost unheard) terms like
'spastic', 'joey', 'deaf and dumb', etc. by both sides, and use of the term
can (and does) perpetuate the attitude that disabled persons need 'help' in a
patronising sense. This is really where the pc issue is, as was seen by the
use of such rediculous terms as 'differently abled' which many of the
disabled people I used to work with found even more insulting - citing that
everyone is /differently/ able.

On the other hand, is the self-identity of individuals and the community. This
is equivalent to the black community 'reclaiming' terms such as 'nigga'
(albeit with varied spelling) and the gay community identifying as 'queer'.

A salient point is that the use of perceived derogatory or negative forms tend
to lose their significance when the community or individuals they are applied
to take them for their own and turn them around. The black and gay
communities have been (or are going) through this process, and the disabled
community has only started on that road. Argument and discomfort about
linguistic change is always indicative of equivalent discomfort at social
mores/changes/attitudes. As such, it is a good thing because it shows that
the underlying social situation is moving forward. In 50-75years time people
will not understand the problem because it will not exist (hopefully.)

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation
Heart of this nation