[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Jan 3 14:11:58 UTC 2003

Dermot Moynihan writes:

>I appreciate that the word handicapped is not meant in a *bad* way but,
>speaking as one who works with disabled people in a teaching capacity,
>the word is frowned upon and brings up incredibly strong feelings.

I have to ask... *why*? "Handicapped" implies they face extra challenges
over and above the norm when dealing with normal life. "Disabled" implies
they're less than fully able. Both are accurate descriptions, yet one is
deemed acceptable, and one not. Why? Is there some sensible explanation,
or is it just political correctness rearing its ugly head?

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk