[Gllug] Installation problem (PCMCIA/Network card related)

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Fri Jan 10 20:34:46 UTC 2003

Eeek, replying to self...

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 07:30:10PM +0000, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> In accordance with my changing work role, I have just received a laptop, and
> been advised to run an operating system I know well and can run X clients on.
>
> Naturally, I would like this to be Debian, but on trying to install woody, I
> have run into some difficulties.
>
> The computer is a Compaq Armada 7792DMT. The network card is a 3Com, model
> printed on it is 3C3FEM656C, shows up as 3CXFEM656C in Debian.
>
> I am unable to get the network card drivers installed enough to enable a link
> light to appear on my hub. It has been suggested that this could be due
> to the PCMCIA bridge, rather than the network card, and that I need to
> include some configuration switches, but I have not received much in the way
> of help.
>
> I really do not want to have to run Windows on this machine, so any help
> would be appreciated.

It turned out to be quite easy to fix in the end.

If anyone else runs into difficulties trying to install Debian using this
network card, they should try this.

Proceed as normal up to and including configuring PCMCIA support.

Switch to the shell (Alt-F2) and cd /etc/pcmcia. Using nano-tiny, edit
config.opts, uncommenting the include line below the comment that high
port numbers may not work. Return to the installer (Alt-F1), repeat
PCMCIA setup, then proceed to set up the network and install the base
system. (the correct module for the network card is included as standard)

--
Phil Reynolds (PGP now available)
 o  ____ Internet: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95