[Gllug] BETT at Olympia

Mick Farmer mick at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Sun Jan 5 00:33:04 UTC 2003

Dear UKUUG elders & GLLUGers,

First, let me declare my UKUUG interest, having served as
its Chair for a number of years.

Second, the idea of a "schools/educational Linux CD" has
been bounced around a number of user groups, including the
UKUUG, for a number of years.  Personally, I can't see why
we can't get a working Linux CD out there next week - if
only we can agree on its contents - and there lies the rub.
We have the various Linux distributions, but which one shall
we promote?  Is there a "generic GNU/Linux model" available?

The so-called "UNIX wars" at the end of the last century
enabled Microsoft to capture the desktop without a serious
fight, because the various UNIX factions were fighting
themselves (okay, I admit the UNIX desktop at that time was
not that good :-).  Surely we must learn from this.  We now
have OpenOffice.com and other "compatability tools" such as
Wine.  Let's not let them take our schools and campuses
without some form of decent resistance!

I seem to remember a talk from Linus about "world
domination" a few years ago.  Why not go for it?  What have
we got to lose?  The majority of us use Linux by choice
anyway.  Let's go out and evangelise with bootable CDs and
hand-holding just a phone call away - there are so many
people in the GLLUG and UKUUG who understand Linux/UNUX
backwards who would be willing to help.

Get a few educational system administrators saying in public
that they've chosen Linux, and you'll start a movement
that's unstopable!  Let's just do it.

Regards,

Mick               /"\
                   \ /