[Gllug] odd hardware

Steve Cobrin cobrin at highbury.net
Fri Jan 17 01:58:49 UTC 2003

On Thursday 16 Jan 2003 11:49, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	I used to be a homechoice subscriber untill they brought out a new
> windows only set top box - but when I cancelled my subscription I got
> to keep the old set top box

I took the upgrade, and can run happily at 1Mbps uder Windows, but
currently  only 115K under Linux, but at least it works! There are
people who have been successfully driving Linux and FreeBSD at around
400K. The homechoice.linux newsgroup has details

> this is a box with ethernet, serial port, infra red remote, scart and
> tv out ...
>
> it used to take a feed over ethernet and displays full screen video
> as well as providing a ppp connection to the internet...
>
> opening it up reveals 16 Meg RAM a PowerPC processor (and a bunch of
> chips I don't recognise)
>
> I've tried just connecting to my LAN hoping it would request an IP
> address via dhcp - but no joy.
>
> I realise this is probably a waste of time but - does anyone know how
> I could go about connecting to this thing - it seems vaguelly
> possible that it could be made to run Linux ...?

Wow! they should also have left behind the alacatel ADSL modem which is
usable with other providers. Not sure what you could really acheive
with the old homechoice box, though

  -- Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk