[Gllug] Universities and degrees in computing.

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Mon Jan 6 12:13:06 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 07:19:49PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Xander D Harkness writes:
>
> >I was initially concerned about the standard of teaching there as the
> >second year Sociology students have a hectic six hours a weeks lectures
> >and about two to three essays per term.
>
> I think this is more an indication of the easy life of sociology students
> than a comment on teaching standards at any given University. Kent was
> much the same. I knew people with a whole 3 hours of lectures a week, and
> since that was obviously too much work, they were given two weeks off in
> the middle of each term as "reading weeks". So for 24 hours a year, after
> 3 years you get to come out with a degree. Unbelievable...

You will come out with a degree true but if you want to get a decent
mark you have to work at it and work hard.

My own brief time at university consisted of 8 hours of lectures a week
but the reading list was huge and in war studies in particular broken
into required and recommended.  Required would get you a pass recommended
would get you honours.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk