[Gllug] Reading an Access97 mdb filey

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue Jan 7 15:43:59 UTC 2003

Stan wrote:
> Jonathan Dye (jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com)
> apparently wrote:
>>
>> Could you replace the database with one that just included views
>> that point to a unix based database?  I believe that you can access
>> external databases from within Access and I'm pretty sure you can
>> access something like Postgress.
>
> Unfortunatly the access file in question contains swipe card numbers,
> this is read by a win32 app which then talks through the serial port
> to the lock system...so I really am stuck with running a windows
> machine and using an access97 mbd file to store the data.

Why does the fact that it contains swip card number stop you from exporting
the data into another database and using the mdb file as a front end to
that?

> (Well actually the mdb file is created via odbc from mysql server
> running on this machine)

As the interface is via odbc can't you get the software to point to another
database that is in a more accessable format.  Obviously you would have to
import the data from the existing database into this new database.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk