[Gllug] Install problems again

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jan 10 12:41:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

>    The story I heard was that the P4 has seen significant modifications
> since it was introduced, it is still being modified, and is still not
> seriously considered for situations demanding reliability such as servers,
> where a P3 is more usual.

Initially P4 CPUs offered less performance than P3 chips even though rated
higher.

That situation has been remedied for quite some time and P4 CPUs are no
longer a performance problem.

What is an issue is the power requirement and heat radiation however I
cannot say to what extent as I've not yet implemented P4 servers - memory
and disk subsystem performance are a lot more important for a server than
CPU performance given how powerful even the lowest entry level CPU is
these days.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk