[Gllug] Toshiba 1110-Z14 laptop

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 21:42:51 UTC 2003

I'm considering buying a Toshiba 1110-Z14 laptop from Dixons at £899.
Anyone have any experience of using one of these, or similar, with Linux?

Main specs are:

1.5 Celeron
256Mb SDRAM PC133
DVD + CD-RW
20Gb HD
NimH battery ("up to 150 mins")
14.1" XGA
3 USB
16Mb ATI Mobility Radeon
SoundBlaster Pro

I intend to split the hard drive between XP, for my daughter's games
etc. and Mandrake 9.0. My main concerns are whether it will take a
D-Link PCMCIA wireless LAN card which will work with Mandrake and
whether the graphics card is good enough for your average "Barbie Pet
Rescue" PC-CDROM :-). I'd particularly appreciate any comments about
realistic expectations about battery time. I aim to do quite a bit of
Linux work in console mode so can I expect better battery life? Which
factors affect this?

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk