[Gllug] Toshiba 1110-Z14 laptop

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Sat Jan 25 22:11:16 UTC 2003

> I'm considering buying a Toshiba 1110-Z14 laptop from Dixons at £899.
> Anyone have any experience of using one of these, or similar, with Linux?
>
> Main specs are:
>
> 1.5 Celeron
> 256Mb SDRAM PC133
> DVD + CD-RW
> 20Gb HD
> NimH battery ("up to 150 mins")
> 14.1" XGA
> 3 USB
> 16Mb ATI Mobility Radeon
> SoundBlaster Pro
>
> I intend to split the hard drive between XP, for my daughter's games
> etc. and Mandrake 9.0. My main concerns are whether it will take a
> D-Link PCMCIA wireless LAN card which will work with Mandrake and
> whether the graphics card is good enough for your average "Barbie Pet
> Rescue" PC-CDROM :-). I'd particularly appreciate any comments about
> realistic expectations about battery time. I aim to do quite a bit of
> Linux work in console mode so can I expect better battery life? Which
> factors affect this?
>
> Garry

I managed to get a vanilla Prism2 wireless card going with Mandrake easily,
so the D-Link shouldn't be a problem (I did hear there was a problem with
the 660's I can't remember where!).  You can get a cheap wireless card from
Dabs now for just £27 (its almost as cheap as a 10/100 card).

The ATI Radeons are pretty good graphics cards and should cope with most
Barbie games and even the likes of Quake and Morrowind under Windows.

No idea about realistic battery time but I'd guess the wireless cards use
more power than standard 10/100 types but I don't know what percentage
reduction this will be (compared to playing games and burning CDs?).

I am amazed that with the rest of the spec the HDD is only 20GB?

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk