[Gllug] seti

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Jan 2 11:07:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 10:07, Richard Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>

> Do any of the 'cancer research or similar' distributed processing projects
> have clients for Linux yet (or Solaris, for that matter)?  Last time I
> looked, it was rc5 or seti - neither of which are particularly 'benefit of
> humanity' type things, IMHO, in the sense that rc5 is proving a point, and
> seti is searching for something which may not be there...

Not medical research or anything, so no direct 'benefit to humanity',
but as I recall there is a neutrino beam experiment which has a
distributed processing client. You run single Monte Carlo events for
them, helping them to build up their simulated event sample.
(sorry - I can't get a precise enough Google query to find it)

BTW, there are a few projects listed on  http://www.gridcomputing.com
Look for the section on P2P Integrated Systems

The particle accelerator design is interesting - again you simulate
single events.
Linux and Solaris clients, Richard. Now I'm SURE you have some serious
Solaris power...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk