[Gllug] I/O error

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 22:35:42 UTC 2003

Henrik Morsing wrote:

> > Can you delete it? Or rename it? If so vgscan will recreate it.
>
> No. I can do absolutely nothing with it.
>
> > However, the fact that you are getting this error indicates that there
> > is some fundamental problem and I would suspect the disk itself. Even if
> > you do recover you may be in for more trouble later unless you replace
> > it.
>
> I don't think so. I installed it two days ago and ran a bad block scan on
> all partitions. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever and the logs
> are empty.
>
> This is not the first time I've had problems with that directory. I think
> it's something LVM is doing.

Could you give a bit more info about your setup? I'm assuming you're
running Debian as your initial post suggested it but now I realise you
never actually stated this. The Debian installer does not support LVM
(if I am wrong here someone please correct me and I will write the time
it took me to LVM my Debian system down to experience:)

What did you install 2 days ago?

The LVM will not work at all without /etc/lvmtab.d. So presumably you
have some parts of the system in partitions. Personally I keep root in a
partition as it appears to be quite hard to put it in an LV, and
requires an initrd. And there does not seem to be much point, root does
not need enlarging regularly.

My Debian LVM system is working perfectly. I have lvm10 1.0.4-4 and
lvm-common 1.5.5, on Woody with kernel 2.4.18, as shipped, I have not
compiled it. What do you have?

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk