[Gllug] I/O error

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Sat Jul 26 07:11:36 UTC 2003

> Could you give a bit more info about your setup? I'm assuming you're
> running Debian as your initial post suggested it but now I realise you
> never actually stated this. The Debian installer does not support LVM
> (if I am wrong here someone please correct me and I will write the time
> it took me to LVM my Debian system down to experience:)
>
> What did you install 2 days ago?

Debian Woody 3.0 on cheap Athlon/IDE disk system.

> The LVM will not work at all without /etc/lvmtab.d. So presumably you
> have some parts of the system in partitions. Personally I keep root in a
> partition as it appears to be quite hard to put it in an LV, and
> requires an initrd. And there does not seem to be much point, root does
> not need enlarging regularly.

Yes, I as well keep root in a seperate small partition.

I created rootvg the day after I installed it and created tmplv because I
needed space for some CD images.
Yesterday I went into single user mode and moved /var, /usr and /home to
rootvg. When I booted up everything failed.

> My Debian LVM system is working perfectly. I have lvm10 1.0.4-4 and
> lvm-common 1.5.5, on Woody with kernel 2.4.18, as shipped, I have not
> compiled it. What do you have?

Same versions here but I updated the kernel.

I will try the moving /etc trick. It's a bit difficult for me to run
init=/bin/bash though because even though the LILO prompt shows up on my
serial console, it doesn't react to anything I type. It doesn't even show
on the terminal. Can anyone explain that?

I think I'll boot from my install disk and go from there.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers
Henrik Morsing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk