[Gllug] modprobe: Can't locate module af_packet

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Jul 9 11:42:31 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:06:35AM +0100, Peter Ball wrote:
> Hi
>
> Compiling Debian Woody I get one boot error I can't seem to get rid of

> If I understand correctly this is caused by:
>
> 	Networking options
> 		Packet socket
> 		Unix domain sockets
>
> I had both of these compiled in the kernel

In which case your problem is that the module loader is trying to load
a module for which the code is already in the kernel.  You can stop it
from uselessly trying to load this module by adding

	alias af_package off

to /etc/modules.conf.  Please note: on Debian you should *not* do this
by editing /etc/modules.conf directly.  Instead you should use the
modutils package.  Either place a file (called anything you like) in
/etc/modutils/ containing the above line or edit /etc/modutils/aliases
and add the above line (either way has its merits) and then run
update-modules.

See the man page for update-modules for more information.

> Obviously I can't switch of Unix domain sockets (unless I want a machine
> without any network - haha)

Unix domain sockets aren't network sockets.  Programs use the same api
calls to connect to domain sockets as to network sockets but Unix domain
sockets can only be used to pass information between processes running
on the same machine.  X, for example, is a network protocol but if you
are running X clients on the same machine as the X server then they
communicate over a domain socket.

You don't want to turn them off, anyway.  A lot of applications use
them.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk