[Gllug] modprobe: Can't locate module af_packet

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 14:00:04 UTC 2003

On 9 Jul 2003 at 12:42, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:06:35AM +0100, Peter Ball wrote:
> >
> > Compiling Debian Woody I get one boot error I can't seem to get rid
> > of

> > If I understand correctly this is caused by:
> >
> > 	Networking options
> > 		Packet socket
> > 		Unix domain sockets
> >
> > I had both of these compiled in the kernel
>
> In which case your problem is that the module loader is trying to load
> a module for which the code is already in the kernel.  You can stop it
> from uselessly trying to load this module by adding
>
>  alias af_package off
>
> to /etc/modules.conf.  Please note: on Debian you should *not* do this
> by editing /etc/modules.conf directly.  Instead you should use the
> modutils package.  Either place a file (called anything you like) in
> /etc/modutils/ containing the above line or edit /etc/modutils/aliases
> and add the above line (either way has its merits) and then run
> update-modules.

This sounds as if it should work, however I added:

	alias af_package off

to /etc/modutils/aliases and ran update-modules and when I checked /etc/modules.conf the
line had been transferred.  However, the line

still occurs when booting.

However, when I use LILO to revert to the old "out of the box" debian the boot message says:

without any error.

The compilation process I used is:

login: admin
cd /usr/local/src/kernel-source-2.2.22
make menuconfig
make dep
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=miniITXserver.1.0 kernel_image
cd ..
su root
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.22-miniITXserver.1.0_i386.deb
shutdown -r -t 0 0

I know I'm doing something stupid - the problem is I'm too thick to know what :-(

Thanks

Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk