[Gllug] Compiling Debian Woody (not)

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jul 3 15:22:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 02:06:11PM +0100, Peter Ball wrote:
> tar: Warning the -I option is not supported; perhaps you meant -j or -T
>
> Presumably the manual has a typo in respect of the -I (uppercase i) option but I don't know
> enough to work out what it should be.

Tar gave you a very big hint.  If you'd looked at the man page, using
the information it gave you, you'd have seen

"-j, --bzip2 filter archive through bzip2, use to decompress .bz2 files.
WARNING: some previous versions of tar used option -I to filter through
bzip2.   When writing scripts, use --bzip2 instead of -j so that both
older and newer tar versions will work.".

So -j, then.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk