[Gllug] July Meeting leftovers

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 27 23:55:45 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 16:19, Richard Kirkham wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I believe we had a short conversation about mini-itx just before the last
> GLLUG meeting. I was intrigued but unfortunately missed the talk because I
> was busy in the network lab with my troublesome Mandrake 8.2 box.
>
> However, since then I have done some investigating via the web and come
> across the mini-itx.com site. I'm very interested in buying or building a
> similar machine but at around 400 pounds, mini-itx's prices are a shade
> high for me. Even a bare bones outfit is ~300.
>
> Is there somewhere else you can suggest where I could get a similarly
> compact machine for a somewhat lower price? Or maybe buy the motherboard
> and a case?

If you want a small, quiet, cheap machine, all in a single unit, you
might seriously want to consider buying an Xbox. You can, with the
security holes found in the dashboard, get linux onto an unmodified
Xbox. Total cost about £130 for the machine, and maybe £40 for one of
the games which has a security flaw. You can probably pick up the game
cheaper that that from the computer exchange, and you can also sell it
after you've hacked the box. The Xbox is probably the cheapest machine
around. I'm seriously tempted to buy one and put freevo on it....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk