[Gllug] Ximian Connector

Ben Wootton ben at benjiboo.org.uk
Wed Jul 30 13:28:20 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 29 Jul 2003 6:27 pm, Ian Norton wrote:
> if ximian were true free software folks (as gnome is supposed to be) then
> this should be free software!

I don't understand why what they chose to do is such a bad thing.  If they
develop a purely proprietary piece of software, then they're free to license
and charge for it in as they see fit, which I don't see as being against the
free software philosophy at all.  If any money is made then great, it's
likeley to add to the longevity of a free software supporting organisation.

> i expect the licenses are modest in comparison to m$ but surely if this
> really is a outlook killer then ximian should push it freely!

Ximian are a company who are out to make money, not for the sole purpose of
punishing Microsoft.  If they have a product with this massive potential to
displace Outlook, then considering their motivations, in no way is it in
their interests to give it away.  In lots (the majority?) of cases, OSS is
the most attractive business model.  In this case, where the only value to
them is in the secrets they have managed to reverse engineer, charging for,
and distributing the connector in binary form (if this is what they've done?)

This is why proprietary software will always exist.  The chance of making
money will always be the *most effective* way to encourage innovation and r&d
investment.

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk