[Gllug] [OTish] SureStore DAT24

Taylor James James.Taylor at lbhf.gov.uk
Tue Jul 8 13:28:37 UTC 2003

Taylor James wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their help on this. I got an Adaptec 2904 off
> ebay for around £20 including postage. I'll let you know how I get on.
>
> /me crosses fingers.

Well, my SCSI card arrived and I plugged in the tape drive and it worked,
straight off! For a bit :-(

I can cat a file to and from /dev/st0 quite happily, I can do a 'mt -f
/dev/st0 erase' and it erases the tape fine. When I try a 'tar cvpf /dev/st0
/mnt/mp3' however, I get the following:

    deathstar:/home/james# tar cvpf /dev/st0 /mnt/mp3/
    tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    mnt/mp3/
    mnt/mp3/Beck/
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/01-The Golden Age.mp3
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/02-Paper Tiger.mp3
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/03-Guess I'm Doing Fine.mp3
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/04-Lonesome Tears.mp3
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/05-Lost Cause.mp3
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/06-End of the Day.mp3
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/07-It's All In Your Mind.mp3
    mnt/mp3/Beck/Sea Change/08-Round The Bend.mp3
    tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

The list of files is always a different length, sometimes it gets as far as
Belle and Sebastian.

/var/log/messages gives the following:

    Jun 20 18:29:46 deathstar kernel: scsi : aborting
    command due to timeout : pid 35470, scsi0, channel
    0, id 3, lun 0 Write (6) 00 00 20 00 00
    Jun 20 18:29:47 deathstar kernel: SCSI host 0 abort
    (pid 35470) timed out - resetting
    Jun 20 18:29:47 deathstar kernel: SCSI bus is being
    reset for host 0 channel 0.
    Jun 20 18:29:47 deathstar kernel: (scsi0:0:3:0)
    Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
    Jun 20 18:29:48 deathstar kernel: st0: Error with
    sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
    sense key Unit Attention
    Jun 20 18:29:48 deathstar kernel: Additional sense
    indicates Power on, reset, or bus device reset
    occurred

(Yes, I know I really should set the date.)

I have googled for this error, and found loads of people with the same
problem but no solution. A lot of people have suggested setting the
blocksize - I've done this on the drive and from the tar command to no
avail. I've also tried turning compression on the drive off with 'mt -f
/dev/st0 compression 0' which does nothing. Perhaps there's a different way
to turn compression off with this paticular drive?

Hopefully, the thing just needs a good clean, but until my cleaning tape
arrives I can't try that.

Has anybody got any other ideas?

Cheers,

--
james

The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the recipient or
entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential information that
is exempt from disclosure by law and if you are not the intended recipient,
you must not copy, distribute or take any act in reliance on it. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete from your system.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk