[Gllug] BIND

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 19:55:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz uttered the following:

>> >use ./configure --prefix=/usr to change that default behavior.
>>
>> As I've argued elsewhere, it's not really desirable to do this. Don't
>> mix self compiled stuff with things your distribution supplies. Instead,
>> put it somewhere completely separate (I usr /local for this, for example).
>> You certainly shouldn't be touching /usr.

However, if you must, then configure --prefix is better than
mv-after-install, and make install prefix= and stow/depot/STORE is
better than that.

> make uninstall :]

Not even halfway to being vaguely reliable. And this sort of thing must
be reliable lest your system fill up with cruft.

--
`We cannot get a new line down the pipe due to a blockage and we cannot
 dig up the road to clear the blockage because it is covered with the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk