[Gllug] Gartner :-(

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Jul 25 09:06:39 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Jon Masters announce to the hordes:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > Well, it had to happen I suppose. And Gartner does have influence.
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/31938.html
>
> Apparently the IBM suit is now for $3Billion.
>
> I wonder what the magic limit IBM set for buying SCO actually was.
> IBM are not stupid (well sometimes they have rather interesting chip
> errata but that's another bitter story) and eventually SCO will have their
> way and be bought like they are so obviously desperate for.

Nope. IBM won't buy SCO no matter what, I don't think... Not until they've
been 100% vindicated in court at least, and then they won't need to buy
them, cos SCO won't even be a grease stain on the floor. I've seen too many
arguments as to why not. Best one is reputation.

They have a rock solid reputation when it comes to contracts.
If they cave in and buy SCO, it'll send a shockwave through their customer
base and reduce confidence in their contracts a lot, cos it'll make it look
like they DID breach the SCO contract.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk