[Gllug] Binary module wanted for Intel PRO 1000 NIC

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Jul 25 09:13:56 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Martin A. Brooks announce to the hordes:

> At 16:27 24/07/2003, you wrote:
> >Technically thats definitely the best solution. Only problem is that the
> >server is on a client site, and I'm trying to avoid a trip out if
> >possible.
>
> If they have a pair of remote-controllable hands on site, there's no reason
> why you can't build a new kernel remotely and have the "hands" reboot and
> choose the old kernel if it doesn't work.

No need for even that...
Assuming you have the original .config file (usually stored in /boot), you
can do the compile cycle, and then just copy the e1000 module to the correct
directory in /lib/modules

You don't need to install a kernel just for one module. All you need is the
aformentioned .config file, and
# make dep clean modules

> See also the -R switch for lilo.

See also modules.conf, depmod -a, insmod and modprobe :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk