[Gllug] AOL blocking mail from DSL lines (again)

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Jul 8 11:36:03 UTC 2003

Richard Jones writes:

>Situation is this: my dad connects to the internet through a variety
>of different ISPs. So I configured his sendmail to send mail directly
>(not through a smarthost). This has worked fine with everyone until
>very recently when AOL instituted their stupid change in policy. Now
>he can't go editing /etc/sendmail.cf every time he wants to connect
>through a different ISP. How can I set it up so he can talk to his
>friend on AOL?

My solution was to configure my parents to use one of my machines as a
smart host. Thus no matter which ISP they're using, they relay via me,
and I'm not on the AOL DUL list. It does mean that I'm theoretically
relaying for more people than necessary. In an ideal world, they'd have
static IPs, and I could restrict it like that. As it is, anyone on either
of their two ISPs can now relay via me. Since it's only a temporary thing
(they're in France looking while my Grandad's in hospital there), I don't
mind, but I wouldn't want to leave it that way for long.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk