[Gllug] AOL blocking mail from DSL lines (again)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jul 8 10:13:47 UTC 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Richard Jones wrote:

> Does anyone actually have a solution for this?[1]
>
> Situation is this: my dad connects to the internet through a variety
> of different ISPs. So I configured his sendmail to send mail directly
> (not through a smarthost). This has worked fine with everyone until
> very recently when AOL instituted their stupid change in policy. Now
> he can't go editing /etc/sendmail.cf every time he wants to connect
> through a different ISP. How can I set it up so he can talk to his
> friend on AOL?

AOL wont be the only ones. As many (most?) large ISPs assign IPs from
their dialup blocks and have registered those blocks with MAPS and others
who maintain dialup block lists lots of connections are being affected.

The solution is to use an MTA that is not caught as a relay host.

If you are always on one ISPs network then use their relay.

If, as is the case with your father, you are using multiple providers then
you will need to subscribe with some service offering SMTP AUTH and use
that as a relay host. UKFSN offers this on the Standard+ account for £15
per year.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk