[Gllug] Computer shopping

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Jul 28 12:35:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, David Damerell wrote:

> >I sorry to continue this discussion but I have plenty of experience to
> >support my views. Your setup only considers disk performance but my
> >experience tell me that the more IDE disks you put in a computer (esp.
> >RAID)  the slower your CPU gets.
>
> Surely this is not the case with a hardware RAID controller, where it
> does the work of talking to the discs?

Not all hardware RAID controllers are equal.

Some are little more than a couple of ports relying upon a software driver
(ie CPU) to do most of the real work. Adaptec put out quit a few of those.

Many IDE "RAID Controllers" are like this.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk